Tuesday, July 31, 2012

SCHOOL WRITING CLUB


Authors in the making at Ngatea 
Primary School in New Zealand


The Ngatea Writing Club at work

The children of Ngatea, New Zealand, have been busy members of their own writing club. One day each week they give up part of their lunch-time to develop their writing skills. Their ambition is to become published authors. 

Below I've posted three of their fictional stories, each with just a little editing and I think they are pretty good. 






The Blue Duck
The Blue Duck
By Gabrielle Leonard-Hansby

The Blue Duck is a dark slate-grey with a chestnut-flecked breast and a paler bill and eye. The pinkish-white bill has fleshy flaps of skin hanging from the sides of its tip. The male's call is an aspirated whistle, and the female's is a ratling growl. It is born with a green beak for just 8 hours after birth; where it then develops to its final colour. The Whio lives in fast running water. it loves fast flowing mountain rivers.

My name is Peeky and I’m a Blue Duck, or Whio.
On a nice sunny morning I was out in the sun looking for some food to eat as I was very hungry and hadn't eaten for a day and a half.
Then I saw the ultimate danger.
It was a red wolf and I tried to fly, but I couldn't get away quickly enough. It got closer and closer and I was getting slower and slower. I was heading for the river and just before I stepped into the water to drift downstream everything stopped. The wolf had got me in its meat-eating mouth.
A hunter came and I heard a very loud noise and then the wolf fell over dead.
I struggled to free myself, but I was trapped. The hunter picked the wolf up, let me go free and he took the wolf away with him. Thank god for that.
I was to live another day.


Restless Spirit
by Isabella Machiavelle

Jake screamed and fainted as if a ghost was there, but there in front of my eyes was a transparent ghost.
The ghost it looked like a thin white sheet that was hovering in front of the stable door. What was it, or who was it? I desperately wondered. Why was it the first time I had seen it on my farm? I had been living there for 6 weeks. This is where the mystery began.
Jake woke up again from being unconscious for five minutes. He froze. The ghost had not moved from the first spot we had seen it.
It was as though it was trying to tell us something, something  we couldn't understand.
Was it telling us something was going on in the stalls that we didn't know about? Or was it taunting and teasing us? This we did not know.
By now most people would have run for the hills but we were too scared to move so we stayed put, staring at this mysterious creature.
It was somehow staring back.
Finally I drew up the courage to talk.  
“What are you who are you what do you want?” I asked desperately as it continued staring, mainly at me.
It finally moved, not slowly, but fast.
I thought it was still around somewhere, perhaps behind something, but we could not see it.
Later, at 10pm,  six hours after we had our first sighting of the restless spirit, we were still silent, jumping when we heard a sound.
Jake came out of the kitchen and said he had called the cops and they didn't believe him. Who would believe an eighteen year old boy after so many prank calls by other teenagers?
The ghost was around again in front of the tv. It was staring not at me, but at Jake, telling him to shut up and not to tell anyone.
Two sightings in one day. Was this ghost telling us something? Something must have happened in this house long ago, but what was it?
Why was there no warnings from the agency and nothing in the newspaper?
Were we the only ones who knew that the ghost existed?
The ghost was moving closer and closer to Jake, but it stopped and turned at the sound of my horse screeching in a way I had never heard before. It was as though there was another ghost in the stalls harrasing the stock.
The ghost quickly scampered away into the darkness.



Rainy Days
by Kaylah Hood

I look out through the creaking window, hoping to play outside. I look down and see that big puddles are forming below.
“Oh, I can’t play outside today,” I say with disappointment.
I look around my dusty room, puzzled and trying to find something to do. After a while I decided to rearrange my room.
I started off with moving my mirror, but stopped when I saw a portal or huge hole in the wall.
I look around the room to find the things I could use I grab my pillow, blanket, teddy, story book, flashlight, food, clothes and my Nana’s lucky charm that she had given to me just before she died.
The police thought she had killed herself, but I thought otherwise!
         
I wrote this note to tell where I was going:

Dear whoever is reading this,

     I have gone on a journey to another universe. I won’t be long.
 
Yours Sincerely
Rosey Diamond

I then place it upon my pillow and walk away heading toward the portal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEYOND THE SEAS

This is my latest historical novel  Beyond the Seas When twelve-year-old orphan Nathaniel Asker is shipped from the back alleys of London to...