Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Speed Limits


10:34 AM Tuesday May 8, 2012  NZ Herald
Peter Gill: Campaigning for 110km/h
139
When you consider suggesting that certain sections of recently built motorways could sustain a 110 km/h speed limit, you know you're going to garner howls of protest from certain corners of society and bureaucracy.
It wouldn't be New Zealand, would it, if suggesting something slightly progressive were not greeted by some doomsayer claiming that it will all lead to hell and damnation?
As a psychologist who has spent more years in journalism and in motoring writing than I care to remember, I was prepared for flak when I decided to speak out in this morning's New Zealand Herald.
It is my contention that there are now sections of newly built motorway that could easily sustain the extra 10km/h. They have very few on and off ramps, and excellent shoulders for vehicles to pull clear of traffic should a driver have a problem.
Many of us who use these stretches find ourselves unwittingly going at 110 anyway, because these pieces of roadway are so conducive to a little extra speed.
It is my opinion that where a roadway invites safe driving at 110, then 110 should be the speed limit. This would considerably ease driver frustration, which is just as big an accident promoter as any other factor.
What's more, in a million kilometers of testing cars for newspaper and magazine columns, I have found that the "sweet spot" for many cars is 110. By that, I mean that the gear and differential ratios are such that they are set for the car to be at its most contented at 110. In many parts of Australia 110 is allowed on designated stretches. The authorities here seem keen to follow Australia on much of its traffic policy, so why not this one?
There are those that will say that due to a generally mountainous topography, New Zealand has a "third world roading system", meaning narrow and twisting roads. That's true, but it's not those roads I am talking about.
Aucklanders will know of the long, smooth descent from Silverdale to Albany on a beautiful piece of road with hardly an on ramp or off ramp to disrupt the flow. The newly opened stretches of motorway around Hobsonville, and Kumeu are the same. There will be other stretches like them around New Zealand.
Continued below . . . 

Highway America

The first lot to climb into me today has been a road safety outfit called "Brake." I suggest that whoever, they are, they are aptly named. They will be wearing cardies under their hi viz vests and will have reported at least one driver today on cellphone number 555.
Fact is, that I know I am right. And if 110 is allowed, but it's foggy tomorrow morning, then we are smart enough to know that maybe driving at 110 is not a good idea in fog. Give the average Kiwi credit for having common sense.
I once got up to 255 km/h on a German autobahn in a 12 cylinder BMW 850, just because I wanted to celebrate the way the German police completely ignore you if the weather is clear, you're in a capable car, and you don't drive as if you've been "on the toot."
I've been a volunteer firefighter and have been to many road accidents. Nothing of what I have seen deters me from continuing with my suggestion of 110 for selected stretches. I am heartened that the AA tentatively agrees. That's good, because they represent a million people. I represent my experienced self.

Peter’s Comment

Peter Gill has been road testing for a long time. He tested New Zealand’s first taxi-van with me in 1982. However, I have to disagree with his plea for a 110kph speed limit, even though I agree with many of the points that he makes.

While speed alone may not be the single greatest killer it certainly claims many, often in single vehicle accidents. A greater menace is the driver who fails to go with the flow, whether the flow is above or below the speed limit.

Not all vehicles are capable of travelling at 110kph and many (all trucks, buses and vehicles with trailers) have a legal limit of only 90kph. These vehicles are therefore unable to go with the flow and are constantly exposed to the dangers of split speed limits (someone should tell OSH about this) or rather the disregard of many car drivers for the dangers of speeding near slower vehicles.

I understand that Peter Gill and many other car enthusiasts would love to be able to boot it without having to worry about being fined. But surely the priority for Government should be in first establishing a uniform speed limit for all vehicles.
Connect with Peter on Facebook or Twitter

Research here and elsewhere has shown that split speed limits not only don’t make roads safer but they actually increase accident rates by the traffic conflict that they cause. Research also shows that because most drivers typically travel at a little over the limit, most traffic related accidents occur at speeds at, or slightly below, the limit rather than slightly above. There is a good case for raising the limit for heavy vehicles while holding down the limit for the fastest drivers to a level that corresponds with the capability of slower vehicles.

In the USA, where I drove trucks in forty states (that's my truck above), each state sets its own speed limits. Some states opt for a uniform limit while other have split speed limits and guess what? The states with split limits generally have the best roads and the worst accident rates. Split speed limits cause traffic conflict and downright danger.

If Peter Gill accepts this proposition, will he also accept that trucks and buses should also be allowed to travel at 110kph or 120kph with the usual tolerance allowed by traffic patrols? I think not. I’ve had 50 years of professional driving and I believe the speed limit should stay at 100 kph and that should be the limit for all vehicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEYOND THE SEAS

This is my latest historical novel  Beyond the Seas When twelve-year-old orphan Nathaniel Asker is shipped from the back alleys of London to...